- 15 illegal fishers nabbed while relief ops run in Iloilo
- Speed up Iloilo oil spill clean-up, contractor told
- 3,000 jobs up for grabs in Iloilo this December
- Capitol launches lantern-making contest
- Dumangas barangay captains oathtaking
- Cash donations for ‘Yolanda’ survivors reach P5.6M
- Cash Donations as of November 26 total 3.9M
- Consolidated Damage Report as of Nov. 22, 2013
- Cash donations for Iloilo typhoon victims reach P3.2 M
- Gov inspects Estancia oil spill
- Gov Defensor orders forced evacuation in Estancia
- Duty Free HR visits Gov
- Foreign aids reach typhoon-ravaged Iloilo towns
- Typhoon Yolanda Relief Operations Update as of Nov 21, 2013
- Aid from Badiangan, Iloilo
Wind: 17.7 km/h
5 Dec 2013
6 Dec 2013
ILOILO – The petition for certiorari with preliminary injunction against the province’s P301-million supplemental budget has been withdrawn by Miagao mayoralty bet loser Gerry Flores.
The former provincial board member, also a staunch critic of Governor Arthur Defensor Sr., filed a motion to withdraw his petition before Branch 31 of Regional Trial Court in Iloilo City on June 28, 2013 but was only made public Tuesday.
Flores filed the petition with prayer for temporary restraining order on January 14, 2013 in a hope to prevent the disbursement of P95.2-million Supplemental Budget No. 2 and the P206.7-million Supplemental Budget No. 3 approved by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan last year.
Flores claimed that the two supplemental budgets were contrary to Sections 322 and 328 of the Local Government Code of 1991.
However, Branch 31 Judge Rene Hortillo junked the petition for TRO on January 28, 2013 due to some technical discrepancies and only the petition for injunction remained.
In his Motion for Leave to Withdraw Petition, Flores said there is no use to pursue to case since both of the controversial appropriations have been expended.
“Petitioner believes that the instant petition has become moot and academic and that he is no longer interested in pursuing the same,” Flores wrote.
Now that it has been withdrawn, Provincial Legal Officer Atty. Dennis Ventilacion said they felt relieved.
“Even if he will pursue it, we are confident that the law will rule in our favour,” Ventilacion said adding that Flores’ claims were irrelevant in the first place.
The P301-million combined supplemental budget questioned by Flores contained additional funds for the Office of the Governor, particularly for donations to local government units and individuals in crisis situation.
It also provided additional funds for the regular projects of the Provincial Agriculture, Health, and Social Welfare and Development Offices. (Jezza A. Nepomoceno/Capitol News)